Friday, April 6, 2018

Humans of LBCC



Kelly Skaer

"A mom of six kids, my boys are 13,11,10, and 8 any my girls are 4 and 20 months. I married into a a community that doesn't support women going to college or working much outside the home. When the marriage ended, court ordered no contact, mainly because of physical abuse. I knew it was time to do what I had always wanted to, pursue a degree and get myself a little career going to support my family."





Amerika Rojos


"I grew up speaking Spanish, it wasn't until I entered preschool that I was taught English. My parents taught me Spanish because they didn't speak English well and because they wanted me to be able to communicate with the rest of my family, especially my grandparents. Growing up, we were only allowed to speak Spanish at home, with the exception of when our friends came over. Being Bilingual was tough at first, I used to really struggle with reading. At home I was being taught how to read in Spanish while at school it was being taught in English, frequently mixing the two. Now that I am older I really appreciate my parents for forcing Spanish upon my siblings and I because it has been helpful and I think its a cool quality to have"

No comments:

Post a Comment